Can I account for all 180 days of homeschooling?

Can I account for all 180 required days of homeschooling?

You bet I can, and then some.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Survived Day 1

We're at the end of day 1.  Wasn't sure I'd make it, but here we are!  We managed to do a whole math lesson, and it only took the entire day.  Interspersed between the numbers we threw in some history (Gombrich's A Little History of the World: well worth it, aimed at kids) some writing and some spelling (thanks to Spelling Connection online: free and also vaguely game-like). 

I think the best thing we did was start the day with getting our notebooks ready for the year.  Every year we use the same binders, but replace the front cover page with a print out with their name and grade which they then decorate however they want.  It adds a bit of 'special', and gets them into the spirit at least for a little while.  Of course, some people take advantage and decorate for half the day, but it isn't like they can escape me, so all the work will get done eventually.

I had told the kids that we would have an easy day.  Oops.  We took an extended break at 3pm (after starting at 9:30am), then finished after dinner.  How can we keep this pace up?  I'm not sure.  I'm thinking we'll just go with it for now, and when we slow down, I won't have to worry about it too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment