Can I account for all 180 days of homeschooling?

Can I account for all 180 required days of homeschooling?

You bet I can, and then some.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Days 67, 68, 69

Wow, what a week last week.  It's a good thing they don't happen all the time, or I'd be locked away somewhere singing some children's song and rocking.

Anyway, that's all behind us now, and hopefully we are moving on.  Homeschooling is so funny, because just when you think you are doing a bad job, and maybe this isn't what you should be doing, there is all sorts of evidence placed in front of you that there is nothing better, and that this is really best.  Of course, DH helps by posting Why We Homeschool

What happened was we were getting nowhere with Math lessons.  At the beginning of the school year, Emily was giving me grief over math.  Now she acts the angel I know she can be, and Luke has dug in his heels.  When we finally had to take his Legos away (and anyone with boys knows how well THAT went over) we had a short tornado on our hands.  After two days, however, we got more into the pattern, and now he knows that if he does his work, he can bring his Legos out into the living room in the evening while I read to the family.  I really like it better because now he shares a lot of his creations with us, where before he was pretty isolated in his room. 

The kicker was when I told him Friday evening at his cousin's house that, yes, he could wait to do part of his math lesson on Saturday morning if he promised to do it in the actual morning (He had already had to do the first part of it AT the cousin's house).  He stood up and offered his hand.  We shook on it, and the next day, he got to it right away and without complaint. 

Now, I knew better than to expect this sort of behavior to last, even for the rest of the day, but it was like seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.  Boy, it was nice to see that light.

No comments:

Post a Comment