Can I account for all 180 days of homeschooling?

Can I account for all 180 required days of homeschooling?

You bet I can, and then some.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Days 70. 71, 72

Ok, I'm back again.  It's getting harder to post every day (obviously), but we can get the overview.

Day 70 was Tuesday.  That was to be our stay at home day, but turned into our go-bowling-with-our-friend day.  We did get schoolwork done, but bowling was more fun.

Day 71 was Wednesday.  Usually this is a dance-then-co-op day, but this Wednesday we had a special outing with our co-op to go to the Rhinebeck Center for Performing Arts to see A Christmas Carol.  I have wanted to see this show for a couple of years, but we could never work it out.  Either funding was tight, or we missed the deadline or they were already sold out.  I felt fortunate to not only make it in, but to make it on a day that was really quite light in attendance.  I know that's not what the performers want, but it makes it so much more pleasant for me!  It was a wonderful performance.  There was a lot more singing than I had thought there would be, but it added a lot to the story.  I really liked the way they added actual Christmas songs so that it felt like it was more than just a story about a man who decided he didn't want to die hated or see Tiny Tim pass away.  It was also about Christmas.  The woman who played the ghosts really made the play for me.  It was a good performance anyway, but she is such a character she really seemed to steal the show.  When, instead of flying as the first ghost, she started skipping and singing "Over the River and Through the Woods," well, it was really funny.
We also had the cousins over in the evening.  They are a good crew of 3, ranging in age from 10 to 5.  We had quite a time reading the second Sticky Burr book and eating cupcakes in honor of Stormy's birthday (Stormy is Emily's rat.  He's 2.  He's an old rat.) 

Day 72 was Thursday.  Today.  The I'm-so-busy-I-don't-know-what-to-do-first day.  How does this happen?  One minute I have history class in the morning.  That's all.  The next, I have to take the car in, go to the bank, go to the store for a coat, go to the library, go to the food store, and go to campus to register for the history class I'm taking in the spring, as well as get mail in.  Yikes!  We tried to have a go at school, but it just didn't take.  I understand it.  We're going to try having Saturday as a make-up day.  It seemed to work last week, so what the heck, we'll try it again. 
One good thing (other than all those errands getting accomplished) was that Luke made dinner.  He did quite well, too.  Tuesday, Emily made spaghetti for dinner, so I made some rolls to accompany them.  So, for today, Luke decided to make Dad's favorite, hamburgers.  He decided on the spices to add, set up the pan for the french fries, set the oven, put them in, cut the cukes for the salad and flipped the burgers.  He even got the fries out, which I didn't think he would.  He did draw the line at forming the patties, but I expected that.  Poor kid!  He hates getting his hands dirty, and burger meat is about the last thing he wants to touch.

All in all, it's hard for me to say how these past few days have been going.  Have they been good?  Have they been hard?  Are they learning?  Yes, yes, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment