Can I account for all 180 days of homeschooling?

Can I account for all 180 required days of homeschooling?

You bet I can, and then some.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 78, 79, 80

We are masters of our universe!  Actually, maybe just the planet.  I've been looking for a way to construct an Earth model so the kids can get an idea of the internal workings of the planet.  I finally hit on what I thought was a winner last night.  Paper plates.  Sounds very hokey, but it's really only a little hokey.  The idea is you make a model with three paper plates that turns out to be 3D. 

Well, I thought it was a cool idea.  The web site has a lot of other cool ideas, too, mostly regarding astronomy.  Anyway, I announce this idea, and get a rather cold reception.  "I'm not doing it!" is what I remember most.  We're still going to, maybe tomorrow, and I'll take pictures.  They'll enjoy it.  Then again, we're getting snow tomorrow, so who knows?

So I decide on a new tack.  I saw somewhere that you could make an edible planet, using a chocolate chip for the Earth's core, a marshmallow for the mantle, and melted chocolate chips for the crust.  Seems ok, but, as I told my rapt audience, we're missing something.  You need an inner core, which is more solid, and an outer core, which is more liquid.  Then you need the mantle and the crust.  How could we do it?

Luke decided to combine the two ideas into one project.  He suggested we use a paper plate to hold our edible model, and use marshmallows for the mantle in a circle on the plate, with a pile of chocolate chips in the center for the inner core.  Emily solved our liquid problem by suggesting chocolate sauce (how appropriate!  Chips for the solid, sauce for the liquid!).  Our only quandery is the crust.  I think we have to crush graham crackers for putting around the marshmallows, but I was outvoted.  They'll think of something they like better by tomorrow, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment