Can I account for all 180 days of homeschooling?

Can I account for all 180 required days of homeschooling?

You bet I can, and then some.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 84, 85, 86, 87

The post-every-day thing obviously doesn't work for me.  At any rate, we've had a lot of arguing lately, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not strict enough.  Of course, after reading this article, I'm  pretty sure I could never be termed 'strict', but I'm going to aim higher than I have before.

In the new 'strict' regime, the kids are not allowed to go in their rooms until a certain amount of work is done, or they ask permission and the length of time is determined.  Refusal to do work will now result in doing housework.  Luke found out that math was preferable to cleaning the floor around the toilet.  In this new world, we got to math, writing, history and a cleaner bathroom.

What's funny is that I find that the kids respond very well to this strictness.  The trick is for me to keep it up.  Unfortunately for me and probably a lot of families, keeping up with strict guidelines is hard.  A friend of mine summed up my issues, though, when I had been complaining to her one day.  She said, "I probably shouldn't tell you this, Jen, but home schooling is hard!"  This was one of the best things I've heard from a fellow homeschooler.  Home schooling is hard.  I'm not on an island of trouble all by myself.  The trick is to find what works and stick with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment