Can I account for all 180 days of homeschooling?

Can I account for all 180 required days of homeschooling?

You bet I can, and then some.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Days 48, 49

Wow, mamma never said there'd be days like this!  What a roller coaster ride!  I have to say, by the end of the day, I've been ready to knock a few back.

Anyway,  the big news for us right now is we are thinking of switching math curricula.  More than thinking, actually.  Emily has complained from the beginning that Saxon moves too slowly, is boring, is not challenging.  I have talked to MANY homeschoolers who use Singapore, and all really like it.  Understandably, DH is worried that it won't be comprehensive enough.  I understand his concern.  After all, one of the main complaints against homeschoolers at the college where he teaches is lack of preparedness in math (right after science lab work).  Not that they can't catch up, but if we can actually give them an edge, why shouldn't we?  So, we go looking at Singapore with some trepidation.  We are still in the placement test phase, and I'm really quite surprised at where they seem to be placing.  In Saxon, we are doing 5/4, and they are both pretty bored.  Not that they get everything right, but it doesn't seem like the lessons are teaching anything new, and what they get wrong will come with practice. 
So, what it boils down to is that we need something that is challenging, that we can suppliment with additional rote math as we will.  I think Singapore may be the answer, so we'll see!

Since I'm covering two days, I'll add another topic here.  I had been getting complaints about certain activities that we do (via the wondertwins).  I haven't heard so many lately, and I decided to ask how we felt about these activities. 
"So how do you guys like Orchestra?"  Last year: 1. OK  2.  Hate it!
This year: 1.  Good!  2.  Yeah!

"So how do you feel about Numeracy Club?"  3 weeks ago:  1 and 2.  BORING!
This week:  1 and 2.  Better!

"So what do you think of history?"  1.  I hate history!  2.  I hate history class!
This week:  1.  It's ok  2.  Not too bad.

Maybe we're settling into the routine, but I think it's a little more than that.  I think it's me learning two things:

1.  How to teach a little more effectively, and
2.  How to release my grip on them a bit and let them choose to go or not.

I'm learning all the time with this process called Homeschooling.  I'm learning academically (my addition has never been so good!) and otherwise.  In some ways, it drives me crazy, but sometimes I think this is the best job ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment