Can I account for all 180 days of homeschooling?

Can I account for all 180 required days of homeschooling?

You bet I can, and then some.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 12

I knew it couldn't last long, but I was hoping for a week at least. The candy thing was not as much a temptation for Emily as on other days.  The maddening thing is that she totally gets everything.  She gets the math concepts, she gets the timing thing, she gets that it's the curriculum we have to do, she even gets that she doesn't get candies when she's acting out at the beginning of the lesson!  She's always so reasonable by the end of the lesson that I'm not sure what I'm dealing with sometimes.  Split personality?  Or, dare I say, prepubescence?  Oh, say it ain't so.  For that, there ain't  no cure but time.

So, the next tactic is to try to either add harder math, or try to get to some lesson that she doesn't know.  The trouble is that Saxon repeats and repeats and repeats.  We all understand that it's necessary.  We just don't think we need to 'learn' about Some, Some More stories for the third time.  Or number lines.  Tell us something we don't know!  So, I'm going to give her some challenging math in addition to the lessons.  Should be fun; adding math to math.  Hmm.  It sounds so crazy that it just...might...work!  We'll keep on with the candies just in case.

Meantime, the kids also went to a Numeracy Club, which they really enjoyed.  They played games, made graphs, all sorts of things.  I'm glad that they enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to many more weeks of an hour and a half sans kids without having the guilt of asking someone to watch them for me.  I'm also glad that they seem to get something out of it academically.  It's a win-win!  Ah, if it weren't for life's little perks, we would sometimes just want to hang our heads down in defeat. 

I think this may be a record.  Although math didn't go as well as hoped, it was yet another positive day!  Is this three in a row?  Maybe I need to start a count.  So I guess this is acutally day 12/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment