Can I account for all 180 days of homeschooling?

Can I account for all 180 required days of homeschooling?

You bet I can, and then some.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 7-Yesterday

So this is what happens when we have a good day.  I completely miss posting!  I guess that lends new meaning to the phrase "No news is good news." 

We actually got some schoolwork done before we had to leave for dance, which was pretty cool.  We invented a new game with a plastic dragon we bought at Michael's as we searched for a candy thermometer the day before ("Fourteen dollars?!  Are you kidding me?  I'll test it on my wrist!")  We now have a Math Dragon (alternate name the Number Dragon) who does not like it when people are not working on math.  The Math Dragon will sometimes advance towards the kid not working, and the only way to ward it off is to do a math problem quick!  Other times, the Math Dragon kidnaps (ratnaps?) the plastic rats and only gives them back once a certain number of problems are done (I divide the number of problems by the number of rats available to the math dragon).  He has a convenient claw for holding onto the rat he is tempting them with, so it's entertaining at any rate. 

For some reason, the other thing that motivates my kids when it comes to math fact sheets is having a plastic animal (a rat, of course) point his bewhiskered nose at each problem, skipping around the sheet as he does.  I don't know why this keeps their attention the way it does, but if it works, what's a homeschooling mom to do? 

At any rate, we went to dance.  Emily and I.  I have to say, Balkan Folk Dancing is a lot of fun!  I can't believe we can go there and do this for free, and they teach us how and all!  It just goes to show you that people can be very generous and kind.  I just hope my sad body can keep up with it.  It's a lot of footwork, which is fine.  I found it very fun to focus on what I was doing, and lose my whole attention to learning the steps.  The tricky part was some of the turning.  It wasn't hard, just a bit ow-y.  We'll have to take that as it comes. 

After dance, we raced home, tried to collect Luke from Nana's house next door unsuccessfully, so I made lunch and went to the car, and beeped the horn for the kids to come.  Turned out that they were trying to get into the house, so they flew into the car and off we went to meet our once-a-week co-op to feed the fish downtown at the Strand.  Very nice, right?  It all went off smoothly.  We were almost going to be on time!  Fifteen minutes into our 25 minute ride, my son announces that he has no shoes.  No shoes.  Like, really, NO SHOES!!  Now I know why I don't mind usually having all manner of stuff in the car.  No shoes.  I turned around, went home, we got shoes and went back to town.  Our friends were still there even though we were a bit more than fashionably late, and the afternoon was quite pleasant.  We fed the fish, we chatted, we wandered around, we bought a lemonade and did bubbles and sidewalk chalk.

And when we came home, what did we do?  Well, we finished our work!  With hardly any complaining!  And I learned that I had an extra day before I have to zip up to a medical appointment that's an hour away!  Life is good!

But really, no shoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment