Can I account for all 180 days of homeschooling?

Can I account for all 180 required days of homeschooling?

You bet I can, and then some.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 42

The usual suspects today, though all did not go according to plan.  I'm trying to relax my grip a bit as the knuckles get a bit white after a while.  I have been trying to start with reading to the kids in the morning, and easing into the other things we have to do.  The book we are reading now is the sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, and it's titled The House of Many Ways.  They are rather entertaining in a Harry Potter-meets-the-princess sort of way.
After a chapter and a half, I break out the history book.  They are not thrilled, but we survive, and may have actually learn a little in the process.  I very nearly have them on board for doing dioramas of explorers, so I'm trying not to push it too much.  It's like dealing with caged tigers.  Poke 'em a little to get them to do what you want, but not TOO much, or it totally backfires.
Anyway, what I really wanted to post about today was a web site called Postcrossing.  This is a totally awesome idea where you can send postcards to people all over the world and recieve them from all over as well.  How it works is you sign up (for free) and you get addresses for people, and sometimes they have a bit about themselves and what kinds of postcards they like, and you send them a postcard.  Then you get postcards from other people who have recieved your name and address when they logged on to get an address to send to.  We've gotten postcards from Finland, Poland, and Lithuania.  The web site shows you on a map where they are, tells you how far the postcards have travelled, and keeps track of the postcards you have sent and recieved.  You do have to register the cards you get, or the person who sent it won't be able to send more!  We've sent postcards to Singapore, Russia, and more.
While *I* find this very exciting, I haven't been able to generate much enthusiasm on the part of the kids until I signed up for my own account, and left them out of it.  Suddenly I was the one sending the postcards, and then I heard a different tune.  "Can I send one?" said a voice next to me as I sat at the computer.  Huh.  I guess TJEd has a point about educating yourself first.  :)  So, while I was sure that the Postcrossing era in our household was over, I'm starting to think that it may have just begun...

No comments:

Post a Comment